This easy salad is both filling and refreshing, and there’s no need for a separate dressing.
Brown rice (often called whole grain rice) is less processed than white rice. The rice grains have had the outer hull removed, but the underlying bran and germ layers are left on the grain, and it’s the bran layers that make the rice brown. Brown rice is more nutritious than white rice because the bran contains vitamins, minerals and oils, as well as more fibre than white rice, keeping you both fuller for longer, and your blood sugar levels balanced. Enjoy!
Makes: 8 cups
Takes: 90 mins
Brown rice: 1 cup uncooked
Courgette: 1 finely chopped
Cucumber: 1 x medium sized, finely chopped
Tomatoes: 2 x large, finely chopped
Spring onions: 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Fresh coriander leaves: 1 x cup, finely chopped
Fresh lemon juice: from 2 lemons
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Rinse the rice and cook as instructed on the packet.
2. Meanwhile, finely chop the courgette, cucumber, tomatoes, spring onions and coriander. Mix together in a large bowl with 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.
3. Once the rice has cooked, let it cool for about 10 minutes until it’s stopped steaming.
4. Add the rice to the large bowl and stir through the other ingredients.
5. Let is stand for 30 minutes for the flavour to infuse. Can be covered and placed in fridge to chill.